Queen of the Screen

 
 
Anya Taylor-Joy is proving to be Hollywood's fiercest player. Here, the Netflix star reflects on the moves that got her here.
[ view in browser.     add marieclaire@newsletter.marieclaire.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Must Read
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube
 
 
Queen of the Screen
 
Anya Taylor-Joy doesn't consider herself to be a particularly competitive person...at least, not with other people. "I can be very, very hard on myself," she says from a sun-drenched hotel room in Belfast, Northern Ireland, where she's been camped out since August filming Robert Eggers' The Northman. She pauses to note the "miraculous" amount of light pouring in through the window, laughs, apologizes for interrupting herself, and then returns to her point: that she is perhaps her own greatest adversary.

"I think I learned how to be more gentle through Beth," Taylor-Joy says, referring to Elizabeth Harmon, the chess prodigy she portrays in Netflix's magnificent new drama The Queen's Gambit. "The thing I connected [with] a lot was when you have that sort-of single-minded determination and you have a gift with it, you do tend to be isolated from the herd. And when you are just alone with yourself for intense periods of time...that level of pushing yourself can start to mess with you a bit."

Beth and Taylor-Joy may as well be two sides of the same coin (or, perhaps, two sides of a chess board). In the Scott Frank–directed limited series, Beth routinely and almost absent-mindedly dazzles the people in her orbit, often gobsmacked older men, with her unmatched cleverness and unwavering resolve for success. Meanwhile, Taylor-Joy's own steadfast work ethic and shrewd talents have led to her swift and spectacular rise in the industry.

READ MORE
 

More From Marie Claire
 
Marie Claire
 
The Best Lingerie You Can Find on Amazon
 
Treat yourself to these budget-friendly finds. Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
The Royal Family Apparently Turned Down Netflix's Offer to Fact Check 'The Crown'
 
And now they might be "kicking themselves." Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Glossier's Biggest Black Friday Sale Ever Is Here
 
Twenty-five percent off sitewide. I repeat: 25 percent off sitewide! Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Transitioning in the Age of Zoom
 
Revealing changes in your gender presentation can be complicated when you haven't seen family or coworkers in person in months. Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Nigerian Women Share Traumatic Stories Gender-Based Violence
 
"I am trying to move on, I have left everything in the hands of God." Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
marieclaire.com
©2020 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
Unsubscribe     Privacy Notice
 
 

Nhận xét